Mar. 27, 2020 - Disruptions to businesses in Canada and across the globe as the COVID-19 public health crisis continues to unfold are raising a variety of competition law issues that will need to be managed in responding to challenges and opportunities associated with the ongoing pandemic. We highlight some of...
Investment Canada Act: Guide for Foreign Investors in Canada, 2019 Edition
The regulatory landscape for foreign investments in Canada is constantly evolving. As a regular adviser on matters relating to the Investment Canada Act (ICA), Davies has updated this informative guide for foreign investors and their advisers, which provides an overview of the ICA and how it is applied. Topics addressed include the following:
- thresholds and considerations that trigger a review under the ICA
- factors considered during an ICA review, and timing of the review process
- undertakings regularly required as a condition for approval
- sanctions for non-compliance with the ICA
- state-owned enterprise guidelines
- national security reviews
Mar. 23, 2020 - The COVID-19 pandemic has had, and is likely to continue to have, a major impact on the global economy as countries implement various levels of “social distancing” and other restrictions on normal activities. In these uncertain times, many businesses may find themselves reviewing their contracts...