Jan. 21, 2020 - In our annual forecast of the year ahead for Canadian competition and foreign investment review law, we evaluate how developments in 2019 will influence these areas of the law in 2020. We discuss below the main issues and trends to watch for this year. Continued Focus on Enforcement in the Digital...
Investment Canada Act: Guide for Foreign Investors in Canada, 2019 Edition
The regulatory landscape for foreign investments in Canada is constantly evolving. As a regular adviser on matters relating to the Investment Canada Act (ICA), Davies has updated this informative guide for foreign investors and their advisers, which provides an overview of the ICA and how it is applied. Topics addressed include the following:
- thresholds and considerations that trigger a review under the ICA
- factors considered during an ICA review, and timing of the review process
- undertakings regularly required as a condition for approval
- sanctions for non-compliance with the ICA
- state-owned enterprise guidelines
- national security reviews
Jan. 15, 2020 - The official Annual Report under the Investment Canada Act (ICA) for the fiscal year 2018-19 was released at the end of 2019. This document sets out various statistics and other noteworthy developments during that time frame (i.e., April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2019) relating to the two review...