Sept. 30, 2019 - Canada’s Competition Bureau is actively seeking and reviewing smaller acquisitions that may not exceed pre-merger notification thresholds under the Competition Act but that may nonetheless raise substantive competition issues. The Bureau’s demonstrated interest in evaluating smaller mergers...
Investment Canada Act: Guide for Foreign Investors in Canada, 2019 Edition
The regulatory landscape for foreign investments in Canada is constantly evolving. As a regular adviser on matters relating to the Investment Canada Act (ICA), Davies has updated this informative guide for foreign investors and their advisers, which provides an overview of the ICA and how it is applied. Topics addressed include the following:
- thresholds and considerations that trigger a review under the ICA
- factors considered during an ICA review, and timing of the review process
- undertakings regularly required as a condition for approval
- sanctions for non-compliance with the ICA
- state-owned enterprise guidelines
- national security reviews
Sept. 24, 2019 - The Supreme Court of Canada has released its long-awaited decision in two companion appeals that have significant implications for class actions alleging conduct that contravenes the criminal provisions found in Part VI of the Competition Act (Act). In its decision in Pioneer Corporation...