June 15, 2020 - With much of the world focused on the immediacy of the COVID-19 pandemic, including its heavy human and economic toll, we have cast our eyes optimistically on the (near, we hope) future when companies regain sufficient confidence to re-enter the public M&A market in large numbers. Although...
Investment Canada Act: Guide for Foreign Investors in Canada, 2019 Edition
The regulatory landscape for foreign investments in Canada is constantly evolving. As a regular adviser on matters relating to the Investment Canada Act (ICA), Davies has updated this informative guide for foreign investors and their advisers, which provides an overview of the ICA and how it is applied. Topics addressed include the following:
- thresholds and considerations that trigger a review under the ICA
- factors considered during an ICA review, and timing of the review process
- undertakings regularly required as a condition for approval
- sanctions for non-compliance with the ICA
- state-owned enterprise guidelines
- national security reviews
May 27, 2020 - Preventing corruption is a day-to-day challenge that requires society as a whole to become aware of the necessity to foster a real cultural shift. Although legislation and internal policies remain essential, they are not sufficient to prevent corruption. They must be supplemented by a...