Our Corporate Governance practice is cross-disciplinary and includes many of our most experienced practitioners. We have worked closely with cross-listed clients in responding to evolving regulatory standards in a variety of jurisdictions and with Crown corporations and other public sector entities on their governance structures and processes. We also have extensive experience advising special board committees and independent committees in M&A transactions with related-party aspects. Our practice has also taken us into complex succession planning for large private companies and into high level litigation and reputation management issues.
We have lawyers located in three of North America’s largest financial centres who have provided advice to firms in a variety of industries, including financial services, manufacturing, property, technology, conglomerates and retail services.
We provide corporate governance advice in connection with:
- Independent and special committee mandates in M&A transactions with related-party aspects;
- Conflict of interest policies, codes of conduct and procurement policies;
- Capital market transactions, including IPOs, secondary offerings, going private transactions, related-party transactions and takeover bids;
- Business structures, such as joint ventures, partnerships and income trusts;
- Litigation and reputation risk matters;
- Disclosure issues; and
- Board structure, succession planning and assessment.
Our firm advises clients on all aspects of their corporate governance. We are retained by management, boards of directors, committees of the board, investors and lenders. The diversity of our Corporate Governance practice is illustrated by a small sampling of some of the clients with whom we have worked closely in this area, which includes:
- Bank of Montreal;
- Bank of Canada;
- Celestica Inc.;
- Brookfield Properties;
- BCE Inc.;
- MOSAID Technologies;
- Hollinger Inc.;
- Western Forest Products;
- Toromont Industries Ltd.;
- Canada Post Corporation; and
- Resolute Forest Products.
The Best Lawyers in Canada—Corporate Governance Practice
Who's Who Legal: Canada—Corporate Governance
Expert Guides' Guide to the World’s Leading Banking, Finance and Transaction Lawyers—Corporate Governance