Our Communications & Media practice is a cross-disciplinary group of lawyers with extensive experience in corporate finance, securities, mergers & acquisitions (public, private and distressed), tax, competition, foreign investment review, privacy, intellectual property (including copyright), insolvency and litigation. Our team also has experience seeking regulatory clearance from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), Industry Canada, the Department of Canadian Heritage and the Competition Bureau and has handled appeals stemming from decisions made by these regulatory authorities in the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
The dynamic nature of today's communications and media industries demands that lawyers have the ability to deliver sound legal and business advice while recognizing the complex interplay that exists in Canada between industry regulation, business innovation, convergence and cultural policies.
We represent a wide range of industry participants, both start-ups and industry giants, including telecommunications carriers (wireless, wireline and satellite companies), Internet service providers, interactive online service providers, Internet content and application developers, broadcasters, distribution companies, production companies, film distributors, book and magazine publishers and distributors, as well as strategic financial partners including institutional and private investors, both domestic and foreign.
Our clients in this sector rely on us to manage teams of legal, financial, accounting and technical experts that are needed to negotiate and structure complex transactions and navigate the evolving regulatory landscape in Canada.
We have acted in some of Canada’s most significant and complex transactions that have included:
- Mergers & Acquisitions, including public take-over bids and arrangements, share and asset purchases, major divestitures, strategic investments and restructurings
- Financings, including private equity investments, bank-led project financings and Canadian and cross-border public offerings (including IPOs) and private placements
- Regulatory compliance including under the Telecommunications Act, Radiocommunication Act, Broadcasting Act, Competition Act and Investment Canada Act
- Negotiation of joint ventures
- Public-private partnerships
- Tax planning
- Project development, structuring and financing
We have also provided critical strategic advice and assistance to our clients in the communications and media sectors on:
- Compliance with industry sector laws, regulations, voluntary codes of conduct and best practices.
- Assisting clients in preparing submissions to the CRTC, Industry Canada and Heritage Canada and the Competition Bureau.
- Responding to government inquiries, including voluntary and court order information requests issued by the Competition Bureau.
- Advising clients on public policy and legislative policy developments.