Manager, Communications Internal
We are currently seeking a Manager, Communications Internal (Manager), in Toronto or Montréal to join our Business Development, Communications and Marketing team.
The Manager is responsible for developing, articulating and managing the firm’s internal communications and strategy.
The Manager delivers proactive guidance to, and in alignment with, the firm’s leadership; practices; offices; and any internal departments such as Diversity and Inclusion, Recruiting, IT, Training and Human Resources. In this function, the Manager aids the firm leaders to disseminate information and messaging that further Davies’ objectives and reinforce our culture, which is founded on excellence and precision. Davies focuses on high-stakes matters, and our lawyers are fearless in approach and methodical in execution.
The plans for internal communications may include milestones; methods for leadership buy-in and reporting; communications calendar; approaches to reaching audiences (leadership, partners, associates, business professionals, staff); and modes of communication (meeting, email, intranet, presentation, town hall, desk drops).
Davies has offices in Toronto, Montréal and New York. Our Montréal office represents and delivers services in Québec both to Québec-based clients and to clients that do business in Québec. We must therefore produce our content in both French and English, a process the Manager manages for the firm’s business development and marketing communications.
For systems and operations, the Manager will work together with our Marketing Operations utility and support the management, selection and deployment of technologies necessary for the execution of our communications function, such as the firm’s website, intranet, client portals, CRM/ERM, email distribution, social media applications, research systems, project management and media tracking. This team assists in assessing current software processes and collaborating with the IT Department to select vendors and organize deployments. Its goal is to increase collaboration, break down silos and eliminate duplication in the department and throughout the firm.
For writing consistency and branding, the Manager ensures that our prose and visual identity are consistent throughout the firm. Doing so requires intra-firm departmental collaboration, training and the delivery of helpful tools.
Education: The position requires a bachelor’s degree, preferably in English, French, communications, public relations, journalism or related field. A law degree is an asset.
Experience: The position requires a minimum of five years of relevant experience with a record of achievement, increasing responsibility and management acumen. The equivalent combination of advanced degree, training and experience may be considered, with a minimum of three years of professional, relevant experience. Favoured candidates have a solid understanding of a law firm, legal-related, professional services or partnership business model from financial, operational and personnel perspectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Capabilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing in English (and ideally in French); and to persuasively articulate and present complex ideas and strategic topics to firm-wide leadership and other key stakeholders. Proficiency to read and write in French is strongly preferred.
- Gravitas and ability to influence.
- Familiarity with legal concepts as relevant to internal communications.
- Technological acumen in digital marketing, social media strategies and content creation best practices. Competent in operating the following or similar database software and research tools, and familiarity with legal publications: ThoughtFarmer, Meltwater, Introhive, InterAction, Tikit, JD Supra, Lexology, Mondaq, LexisNexis and Westlaw, etc.
- Advanced technological skills using the Microsoft suite of products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, SharePoint, Outlook). Working knowledge of NetDocuments, PowerBI and Sitecore is beneficial.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects while adapting to changing priorities. Sophisticated ability to lead others in developing and executing initiatives and large-scale projects.
- A highly organized and self-directed approach to work, with a track record of following through on commitments and managing multiple expectations simultaneously.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to motivate and empower people and teams, and to build effective and cooperative teams. Seasoned experience in managing teams, hiring, training, assigning work, managing performance and providing performance counselling and coaching.
- Success in recruiting, mentoring, managing and developing staff. Leadership experience and presence consistent with the firm’s commitment to excellence, innovation, diversity, shared success and corporate citizenship.
- Applied knowledge of CAN-SPAM, CASL and GDPR compliance.
Qualified candidates are invited to email their cover letters and resumés in confidence to Robyn Hayes, Human Resources Generalist, at email@example.com.
We thank you for your resumé but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP is committed to providing a work environment that is diverse, inclusive and accessible to applicants and firm members with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Robyn Hayes, firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.367.7910.