Possibilités de carrière
Day Legal Assistant, Real Estate
The Real Estate practice in our Toronto office is currently seeking a Day Legal Assistant to join its team, working in a share of 4:1. The successful candidate will work Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The position requires very strong communication and technical skills. The successful candidate must demonstrate initiative, high attention to detail and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment. In addition, strong client service skills, organizational skills and practice management abilities are required.
- Provide dedicated support to four Real Estate lawyers.
- Use the firm’s word processing and document management software to
- prepare and process correspondence, memoranda and legal documents according to the firm’s standards;
- compose and draft routine cover letters and documents;
- proofread documents and check for appropriate formatting, spelling and grammar, as well as preparing revisions and blackline documents as directed;
- prepare closing books and index hyperlinking.
- Assist lawyers and students with the establishment and maintenance of websites (Deal Room/ShareFile) for the purpose of facilitating legal transactions for the firm.
- Review and route incoming mail and fax communications; prepare and process outgoing mail and faxes; and arrange specialized mail or messenger services, as required.
- At the direction of the lawyer, ensure email correspondence is filed to the appropriate client matter.
- Manage key dates, including updating calendars for assigned lawyers for their meetings, appointments, due dates and client-related activities, etc.
- Coordinate lawyers’ travel arrangements and travel expense reports using the firm’s Chrome River database.
- Update contact names and addresses in the firm's InterAction database on a regular basis.
- Coordinate client meetings, including scheduling rooms and arranging for catering or audiovisual equipment using the firm's Meeting Room Manager software.
- Receive, handle, screen and/or direct incoming calls as directed by lawyer; respond to routine inquiries and requests from clients; take messages as required.
- Coordinate docket entry and submission according to the firm’s timelines for docket submission. Prepare expense reimbursement and disbursement requests. Prepare client accounts and coordinate client billing matters with the Accounting Department. Work with the lawyer to enter new client and matter opening requests using the firm's database.
- Coordinate and disperse tasks to be performed by various resource groups such as Document Specialists, Billing Specialists, etc., where appropriate, while ensuring tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Manage files, including opening new files and maintaining precedent files.
- Work with Records to create, maintain and store client files as appropriate.
- As a member of a formal team structure, demonstrate effective teamwork and provide support to other legal assistants as time permits. Provide support to other lawyers, clerks and/or students within the team structure in the absence of the regularly assigned assistant where dedicated support is not available. Work cooperatively with other departments and individuals in the firm.
- A community college certificate in a Legal Assistant program or equivalent.
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in a Legal Assistant role; an equivalent combination of education, training and experience is acceptable.
- A team player.
- A positive attitude and professional image.
- A high level of professionalism, the ability to take initiative, and discretion and good judgment in decision-making.
- Excellent technical knowledge of Microsoft applications, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat.
- Excellent client service skills.
- Ability to produce documents in a timely and accurate manner.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to prioritize daily work effectively.
- Excellent time-management skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
Qualified candidates are invited to email their cover letter and resumé in confidence to
Karen Keane, Manager, Legal Assistants and Support Services
Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP
Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP is committed to providing a work environment that is diverse, inclusive and accessible to applicants and firm members with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Robyn Hayes, Generalist, Human Resources at email@example.com or 416.367.7910.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted directly. No phone calls please.