Possibilités de carrière
Day Legal Assistant/Billing Assistant, Tax
The Tax practice in our Toronto office is currently seeking a Day Legal Assistant/Billing Assistant to join its team, working in a share of 4:1. The successful candidate will work Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The position requires very strong communication and technical skills. The successful candidate must demonstrate initiative, high attention to detail, and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment. In addition, strong client service skills, organizational skills and practice management abilities are required.
Legal Administrative Responsibilities
- Provide dedicated support to one Tax lawyer.
- Use the firm’s word processing and document management software to
- prepare and process correspondence, memoranda and legal documents according to the firm’s standards;
- compose and draft routine cover letters and documents;
- proofread documents and check for appropriate formatting, spelling and grammar.
- Review and route incoming mail and fax communications; prepare and process outgoing mail and faxes; and arrange specialized mail or messenger services, as required.
- At the direction of the lawyer, ensure email correspondence is filed to the appropriate client matter.
- Update contact names and addresses in the firm's InterAction database on a regular basis.
- Provide administrative support, when required, by assisting the executive assistant in the tax department.
- Manage files, including opening new files and maintaining precedent files.
- Work with Records to create, maintain and store client files as appropriate.
- Prepare pre-bills in a timely manner, monthly or on request, and follow up, when necessary with other members of the firm, according to client billing guidelines and firm standards and policies.
- Prepare invoices and forward them to lawyer for review.
- Edit docket narratives where required.
- Process and track changes from lawyer and send to Accounting for completion.
- Monitor and review outstanding WIP (Work in Progress) and follow up with the lawyer to ensure timely billing.
- Track outstanding invoices.
- Coordinate with the Accounting department to ensure accounts are compliant with the client billing guidelines.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with billing lawyer’s executive assistant and members of the Accounting department; respond to any queries regarding the billing process.
- Perform other related tasks and duties.
- A community college certificate in a Legal Assistant program or equivalent.
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in a Legal Assistant and Billing Specialist role; an equivalent combination of education, training and experience is acceptable.
- A team player.
- A positive attitude and professional image.
- A high level of professionalism, the ability to take initiative, and discretion and good judgment in decision-making.
- Excellent technical knowledge of Microsoft applications, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat.
- Knowledge of Aderant or similar accounting software would be an asset.
- Excellent client service skills.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to prioritize daily work effectively.
- Excellent time-management skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
Qualified candidates are invited to email their cover letter and resumé in confidence to
Karen Keane, Manager, Legal Assistants and Support Services
Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP
Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP is committed to providing a work environment that is diverse, inclusive and accessible to applicants and firm members with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Robyn Hayes, Generalist, Human Resources at email@example.com or 416.367.7910.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted directly. No phone calls please.