Reporting to the Litigation practice group coordinator, the successful applicant will assist the litigators with all aspects of file management. The incumbent will be a full group participant, understand the specific issues involved in various types of files, take ownership of matters delegated by the team and perform high-quality work to exceed client expectations.
- Actively contribute to various practice group initiatives, help find ways to improve the group’s processes and contribute to its success, and participate in on-going training programs.
- Organize and manage a significant number of complex files, including managing ongoing delays, deadlines and tasks.
- Gather, organize, analyze and summarize factual information (exhibits, contracts, documents, correspondence, etc.) and prepare notes and summary tables for lawyers and clients.
- Manage internal databases and comfortably use various litigation software programs (eDiscovery).
- Assist in the preparation of requested documents, management of and response to requests for documents.
- Participate in the preparation of examinations and summary of transcripts.
- Prepare first drafts of letters, demand letters and proceedings.
- Perform various legislative, doctrinal, jurisprudential searches and prepare draft arguments.
- Prepare correspondence and statements of costs.
- Prepare books of authorities, proceedings and undertakings.
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations for clients or the court.
- Help lawyers prepare for trial and attend trial as needed.
- Communicate with the courts, clients, opposing parties and others in the judicial system.
- Perform other related duties.
- DEC in Paralegal Studies or equivalent experience
- Three to five years in similar position or relevant experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote) and specialized litigation software
- Ability to analyze, summarize and organize documents carefully and with attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate professionally and courteously
- Ability to perform high-quality work in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive in the search for solutions and the next steps
- Available to work outside regular hours on occasion
- Excellent French and English (oral and written)
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Davies is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment.