Proposal Program Manager
We are looking for a bilingual Proposal Program Manager to join our Business Development, Marketing & Communications team in our Montréal office. As part of our team, you will work with passionate, diverse and dynamic professionals who support the firm and our lawyers in their client development, marketing, communications and media relations strategies and activities.
Reporting to the Manager, Business Development, the Proposal Program Manager is responsible for overseeing and delivering highly anticipatory and responsive service to our lawyers in their entrepreneurial efforts to pursue, retain and expand client relationships. Central to this role is the person’s ability to (1) provide exceptionally strong client development support service to our internal clients; (2) develop and draft high-quality, comprehensive and compelling proposals, pitches and other support materials that resonate with the intended audience and help win new business; and (3) otherwise oversee, track, analyze and refine our business development processes, while coordinating requests from lawyers for written materials as they come in.
Proposal development process
- Oversee the entire proposal development process:
- Manage the proposal development lifecycle, including coordinating meetings/calls with key stakeholders to clarify an approach and gather sufficient internal information to customize winning proposals and presentations, prepare work-back schedules and ensure sufficient timelines are in place.
- Prepare thoughtful, credible and persuasive pitches, presentations, RFP responses, background materials and general business development materials with the support of other BD team members.
- Counsel internal clients on messaging, structure and content, ensuring that a thorough understanding and analysis of clients’ needs and the broader business context is reflected in responses.
- Act as a main resource for French-language bids and pitches, developing the full content and coordinating the complete process.
- Review, edit and proofread all proposal material, ensuring overall accuracy and currency and that
- voice, grammar, punctuation, spelling and style are used correctly and consistently throughout, and
- materials are comprehensive, persuasive and tailored to the client and opportunity.
- Conduct post-RFP/pitch follow-ups and debriefs, and manage tracking (ROI of efforts, updates on opportunities and feedback received, etc.) as part of our business intelligence strategy.
- Develop and draft cogent, credible and convincing award submissions (for both the firm and individual lawyers) and oversee the approval process.
- Proactively present ideas to continuously improve the proposal process from opportunity evaluation to strategy development, post-bid evaluation, best practices and firm-wide education.
- Contribute to the development and improvement of proposal content, format and template.
- Conduct ongoing editorial maintenance and quality control of all materials used in pitches and proposals.
- Oversee and assist in building and refining the firm’s inventory of response materials that cover the firm and its main practice areas (including for awards/recognitions), capabilities, services, etc.
- Train new Marketing/BD team members on RFP/pitch processes, tools, materials, technologies and best practices.
- Keep abreast of both legal and business markets as well as best practices in legal industry marketing and business development to identify and implement opportunities.
- Collaborate with other teams members to conduct and deliver meaningful research on existing and prospective clients, competitor activity, and industry or market trends to inform and support business development opportunities and strategies.
- Collaborate with other team members of the proposal team to ensure consistency of content and messaging as well as alignment on processes and tools across the firm, in both languages.
- Work closely with the Knowledge Management team on pricing.
- Respond to internal and external inquiries on a timely basis and provide exceptional client service.
- Promote the Business Development and Marketing culture throughout the firm.
- Assist with other marketing and business development projects as the need arises.
- Bachelor's degree with an emphasis on communication and journalism, political science, marketing, law or business
- MBA or law degree is an asset
- Strong business acumen and at least eight years’ experience working as a business development or marketing professional in a professional or legal services firm, with a thorough understanding of business development practice
- Excellent oral and written skills in both French and English, including punctuation, spelling, grammar and writing skills, with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to analyze, synthesize and communicate information with tact and courtesy
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with team members
- Functional understanding of databases and database management
- Strong Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Excellent time and project management skills; able to manage heavy workload, prioritize responsibilities and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work successfully for a highly entrepreneurial partnership, coupled with ability to maintain professional composure and diplomacy in high-pressure situations and a fast-paced, multi-authority environment
- Flexibility to manage last-minute requests, sometimes outside business hours
- A self-starter who knows how to work with people, shows initiative and possesses a positive attitude
- Willing and able to "roll up sleeves" and handle any aspect of the task at hand to accomplish the job, including, as necessary, providing assistance on other client development projects that may be initiated by the Toronto office.
You are invited to email your resumé and cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Davies is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment.