Frances Mahil is the Director of Student Affairs and co-Chair of the Student Committee in the Toronto office. In this role, Frances is responsible for hiring summer and articling students and managing all aspects of the student program. This includes overseeing its overall operation and administration and leading the recruitment, strategy and development of students. Frances is primarily responsible for:
- leading and directing recruitment initiatives at law schools (including on-campus interviews and advertising);
- managing law school liaisons and relationships;
- overseeing summer and articling student performance review management;
- overseeing compensation, mentoring and workflow for summer and articling students;
- assisting summer and articling students with their career development and in achieving their personal goals and performance review objectives; and
- managing on-campus interviews at Canadian law schools for candidates pursuing summer associate positions with our New York office.
For 2011/12 and 2012/13, Frances is serving as the Vice Chair of NALP's (National Association of Legal Professionals) Summer and Articling Recruitment Working Group for the Canadian section. In this capacity she has responsibility for developing a Best Practices Guide for summer and articling recruitment for regions throughout Canada and will continue to oversee the ongoing development of the on-line application portal, an innovative electronic application process for law students that she co-led to develop and implement in 2010/11.
In addition to her Student Committee responsibilities, Frances is also a member of several committees including the Student Hireback Committee, Lawyer Evaluation Committee and the Mentoring & Career Development Committee for associates and young partners. Frances also works closely with the partner-in-charge of lateral recruitment to assist in the hiring, integration and retention of young lawyers.