Our Mergers & Acquisitions practice is widely regarded as the leading practice of its kind in Canada with over 90 practitioners in Toronto, Montréal and New York. Our practice spans every industry and business sector, and includes representation in transactions of every size. It includes large, complex, multijurisdictional transactions where we provide sophisticated corporate, securities, tax, capital markets, antitrust, litigation, real estate and environmental law expertise. It also includes many transactions that are smaller in comparison but often extremely complex, and require significant expertise.
We are well known in Canada as the leading "bet the farm" law firm for hostile M&A or complex, multijurisdictional transactions and large cap proxy contests.
We have represented acquirers and targets in negotiated/friendly transactions, including management buy-outs (MBOs), as well as independent committees of directors. We have market-leading experience in the most demanding M&A transactions, and also represent clients on cross-border, infrastructure and income fund M&A transactions.
Our reach extends well beyond our borders, having been engaged in matters for our clients throughout the world, acting in M&A transactions spanning jurisdictions.
As a result of our continuing involvement year after year in most M&A transactions of size completed in Canada, as well as our representation of a number of the world's leading companies in M&A transactions in Canada, the United States and various other countries around the world, our practice standards and capabilities in M&A are world-class. Davies is consistently recognized by its peers, clients and third-party organizations for its standard of excellence as listed below:
- Ranked as a top-tier firm in Canada for Corporate/M&A in the 2014 Chambers Global: Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers for Business - "from its superb bench strength to the depth of knowledge of the team, Davies is noted to be a 'corporate powerhouse'".
- Led the rankings in the 2015 Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada for corporate transactions.
- Ranked in the top tier in the PLC Cross-border M&A Handbook, as well as in the IFLR1000: The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms and as "most frequently recommended" in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
- Awarded the M&A Advisory Excellence in Canada Award by Corporate INTL magazine.
- Awarded Best M&A Team in Canada by World Finance Magazine.
We achieved this recognition because we excel at the most complex forms of transactions and apply our experience, depth and integrated team approach to achieve the best result for each of our clients.