Our Mergers & Acquisitions practice is widely regarded as the leading practice of its kind in Canada with more than 90 practitioners in Toronto, Montréal and New York. Our practice spans every industry and service business sector in Canada and the United States and includes representation in transactions of every size. It includes large, complex, multijurisdictional transactions where we provide sophisticated corporate, securities, tax, capital markets, antitrust, litigation, real estate and environmental law expertise. It also includes many transactions which are small in comparison, but are also often extremely complex and require significant expertise.
We have represented acquirers and targets in negotiated/friendly transactions, including management buy-outs (MBOs), as well as independent committees of directors. We also have market-leading experience in hostile transactions, the most complex and demanding of M&A transactions, as well as representing clients on cross-border, infrastructure and income fund M&A transactions.
Our reach extends well beyond our borders, having been engaged in matters for our clients throughout the world, acting in M&A transactions spanning numerous jurisdictions and, in some cases, having no relationship whatsoever to Canada.
As a result of our continuing involvement year after year in most M&A transactions of size completed in Canada, as well as our representation of a number of the world's leading companies in M&A transactions in Canada, the United States and various other countries around the world, our practice standards and capabilities in M&A are world-class. Davies is consistently recognized by its peers, clients and third-party organizations for its standard of excellence as listed below:
- Ranked as a top-tier firm in Canada for Corporate/M&A in the 2013 Chambers Global: Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers for Business; from its superb bench strength to the depth of knowledge of the team, Davies is noted to be a "corporate powerhouse".
- Led the rankings in the 2013 Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada for corporate transactions.
- Ranked in the top tier in the PLCCross-border M&A Handbook, as well as the IFLR 1000, and as "most frequently recommended" in The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory.
- Recognized in the top tier of firms in the Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms, stating that "mergers and acquisitions is where the firm really takes off".
- Awarded the M&A Advisory Excellence in Canada Award by Corporate INTL Magazine.
- Awarded Best M&A Team in Canada by World Finance magazine.
We achieved these recognitions because we excel at the most complex forms of transactions and apply our experience, depth and integrated team approach to achieve the best result for each of our clients.