Our Energy team is a cross-disciplinary group of lawyers experienced in all aspects of complex energy projects and transactions. We have developed extensive expertise in the construction, financing and related aspects of projects involving electricity and natural gas transmission and distribution assets, as well as the oil, gas, nuclear, hydroelectric, wind, solar and other renewable sectors. We bring our unparalleled M&A skills to a wide range of energy transactions involving the private and public sectors. Our breadth of experience in the energy sector enables us to provide sophisticated advice and find practical solutions to achieve our clients' business objectives.
We act for a wide range of industry participants including domestic and international developers, purchasers, sellers, lenders and government entities. We work with all key stakeholders including regulators, transmission and distribution utilities, municipalities and community and Aboriginal groups. Our clients rely on us to organize and coordinate the teams of legal, financial, accounting and technical experts needed to successfully complete their transactions. We negotiate and structure complex transactions and navigate the regulatory environment both in Canada and abroad, advising clients on:
- Mergers & acquisitions, including public take-over bids and arrangements, share and asset purchases, major divestitures, strategic investments and restructurings;
- Financings, including private equity investments, bank-led project financings and Canadian and cross-border public offerings (including IPOs) and private placements;
- Negotiation of joint ventures and resource development agreements;
- Project development, structuring, financing and permitting;
- Public-private partnerships;
- Tax planning for project structures;
- Energy contracts and emissions trading;
- Environmental and regulatory compliance;
Competition Act and Investment Canada Act compliance;
- Opportunities under Ontario's new Green Energy Act; and
- Community and Aboriginal relations.
The firm's success in producing results for our clients has led to Davies being consistently recognized by independent rating agencies as a market leader in each of our core practice areas. The 2013 edition of Chambers Global, recognized Davies as a leading firm in Energy & Natural Resources. Members of our energy group are consistently ranked as industry leaders by IFLR1000, Expert Guides' The Best of the Best, the Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada and the PLCWhich lawyer? Yearbook.